Easter Reminder! Never feed your dog chocolate

Easter Reminder! Never feed your dog chocolate

Dog owners are reminded of the dangers of feeding their pet chocolate over the coming Easter long weekend.

Minister for Agricultural Industry Development and Fisheries and Minister for Rural Communities Mark Furner said while the Easter break was a great time for families, the family pet could suffer if allowed to eat Easter treats.

“Even a small amount of chocolate can make our dogs very sick,” Mr Furner said.

“It contains the substance ‘theobromine’, which affects a dog’s nervous system and heart and can cause extreme distress.

“Darker chocolate has more theobromine than milk or white chocolate, and large amounts of chocolate can actually be life threatening to dogs.

“Small dogs are at a greater risk, but all breeds can suffer violent reactions including restlessness, hyperactivity, trembling, vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate and seizures.

“Parents should ensure that their children understand this and not be tempted to share Easter chocolate with the family dog.

“Dogs can be very opportunistic, so it’s important to keep opened chocolate out of their reach.

“If you think your dog has eaten chocolate, seek immediate veterinary advice.”